Men's soccer loses in season start

The Seton Hall men's soccer team kicked off their 2015 season Friday night in a 3-1 losing effort against the College of Charleston at Patriots Point as a part of the Nike/Aaron Olitsky Memorial Classic. [caption id="attachment_10650" align="alignleft" width="223"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The highlight of the season opener for the Pirates' was sophomore Nick Najera's equalizer in the 61st minute in his debut for Seton Hall. After falling behind 1-0 at intermission, Najera headed home a feed from Andres Arcila to tie the score. The momentum did not last for the blue and white as just four minutes later Eli Dent’s goal regained the lead for CofC in the 65th minute for the Cougars. Nico Rettmeyer tacked on two goals for Charleston, the second coming in the 80th minute to put the match out of reach at 3-1. The Pirates had a golden opportunity moments before to tie the game for the second time, but were unable to do so when Julian Kennedy's shot hit the crossbar. Lack of opportunity might have contributed to the loss for the Hall as they were out-shot 16-5 including 6-2 on shots on goal. While the 2015 Pirates feature seven players who made their collegiate debut Friday night, standing in goal for the Hall is Julian Spindler, who played every minute in goal in 2014. The German-native recorded all three of his saves in the first half. Seton Hall will wrap up action at the Nike/Aaron Olitsky Memorial Classical on Sunday, Aug. 30 at 12 p.m. against Furman at Patriots Point.   Matthew Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @mattzeigafuse