Men's soccer, Furman draw due to weather

The Seton Hall men’s soccer team finished its match against Furman University in a 1-1 draw on Sunday afternoon, but the contest did not go into overtime due to poor impending weather and unplayable field conditions. Senior Eric Lagg scored the team’s lone goal in the last minute of the first half. [caption id="attachment_10666" align="alignleft" width="200"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] This was the Hall’s first ever matchup with Furman – a part of the Nike/Aaron Olitsky Memorial Soccer Classic in Charleston, North Carolina. Furman came out aggressively and took 15 shots with five on goal, but returning junior goalkeeper Julian Spindler was able to make four saves. Seton Hall’s defense was capable and kept the attack at bay despite having the pressure put on by Furman’s forwards and midfielders. Senior defender Julian Kennedy and sophomore midfielder Andres Arcila both logged the full 90 minutes without taking a second’s rest. Furman answered Lagg’s goal quickly after the intermission, scoring in less than two minutes after play resumed (46:48). On a team with 15 incoming players, seniors like Lagg are going to be important, especially early in the season. Lagg has paid his dues throughout his career, having competed in 45 contests (including Sunday’s match), and looks to be a vital part of this team’s offense in 2015. Sunday’s goal was his first since his freshman year. The offense still seems to be searching for its rhythm, as SHU was outshot 7-15. However, there were signs of resilience. With Seton Hall’s ability to play defense, it might just be a matter of time before this team finds out who is ready to step up and score some goals. The team will look to answer those question as its season continues on Friday, Sept. 4 against Rider University for this year’s home opener.