Late goal leads to tie for women's soccer

A corner kick from junior Frankie Maier found the head of freshman Delaney Suarez in the final stages of regulation on Thursday night, resulting in a game-tying goal for the Seton Hall women’s soccer team and an eventual hard-fought 1-1 draw in double-overtime with La Salle. [caption id="attachment_10642" align="alignright" width="232"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] SHU was able to maintain the score by keeping the Explorers from scoring in the two extra time periods. Freshman goalkeeper Anna MacLean played a major role in the defensive stifling of LaSalle as she finished the match with a career-high 11 saves. MacLean saved the first three shots she faced before La Salle midfielder Fia Jonsson was able to get one by her. Jonsson’s free kick deflected off the wall and found the back of the net in the 28th minute to put the hosts ahead, 1-0. The Pirates applied pressure late in regulation as senior Melissa Blevins fired a shot in the final minute that was blocked and resulted in Maier’s corner kick. Maier’s corner came with less than 30 seconds left on the clock as she swung the ball in from the corner flag to find Suarez for the equalizer. The goal by Suarez was the first of her collegiate career and it helped the Hall record its first result of the 2015 season. The Hall will be back in action Sunday as the team looks for its first victory of the season against Penn in Philadelphia. The match is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m.