Host beats SHU volleyball in UNLV Invitational

The Seton Hall volleyball team concluded play at the UNLV Invitational Saturday, falling to host UNLV in three sets (16-25, 12-25, 24-26). The Pirates’ record now stands at 1-2 after dropping two of three matches in the tournament. UNLV was able to dominate Seton Hall’s previously consistent defense, connecting on a .358 pace while the Hall only registered a .117 pace throughout three sets. [caption id="attachment_10663" align="alignleft" width="202"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Pirates were outplayed for the entirety of the match and were unable to take advantage of the little opportunities they had to get within striking distance. In the second set Seton Hall took an early 2-0 lead. The Rebels then proceeded to go on an 11-1 run and they did not look back as the Pirates did not came closer than eight points behind for the remainder of the set. The third set was the most competitive for the blue and white. In an attempt to prolong the match the Pirates kept it close. The match featured 17 ties and nine lead changes – ending when the Rebels tacked on the last two points of the set after a Cherise Hennigan kill tied the score at 24. Despite the losing effort freshman setter Sophia Coffey came just shy of recording back-to-back double-doubles, filling up the stat sheet in the process. She finished with 24 assists and eight digs to go with five kills and a .375 attack percentage. Fellow freshman Cherise Hennigan lead the team with 11 kills, reaching double figures for the second match in a row. Hennigan was also named to the UNLV Invitational All-Tournament Team. Seton Hall will return to Walsh Gymnasium to play their home opener against Notre Dame on Friday, Sept. 4 at 7:00 p.m. as a part of the annual Seton Hall Classic. Matthew Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu