Seton Hall’s Delgado to Represent Dominican Republic at Pan Am Games

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="836"] dominicanosenbasketball.com[/caption] Seton Hall center Angel Delgado will represent his native country, the Dominican Republic, at the 2015 Pan American Games this summer. The Games kicked off on July 10, but the basketball portion will begin on Tuesday, July 21. Delgado is fresh off of a breakout season with the Pirates, having won the university’s second Big East Rookie of the Year award. He snagged 9.8 rebounds per game, which topped the list for Division I newcomers, and became the second freshman in the history of the Big East to claim the conference rebounding throne. “I do everything for my team,” Delgado told The Setonian back in December after going for 10 points and 11 boards in a blowout win against Rutgers. “If they need me [to get] a double-double, that’s what I’ll do. I don’t even care about [points], I care about rebounds…I don’t feel good when I have ten, I feel good when I have more than ten.” The 6’9” freshman “tallied 10 or more rebounds in 15 games this past season, 10 of which came versus Big East opponents,” per Seton Hall Athletics. Delgado was one of 12 players chosen out of 17 invitees to compete for the DR. Another notable name on the roster is NBA veteran Francisco Garcia, who has played for the Houston Rockets and Sacramento Kings. The Dominican Republic was placed Group B with Canada, Mexico and Argentina. The United States, Brazil, Puerto Rico and Venezuela made up Group A. It’s a round-robin tournament, so the top two teams of each group will play in the semifinals, and then the winners of those games will meet for the championship. Thomas Duffy can be reached at Thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on twitter @TJDHoops