Big East champion Pirates begin play at Raleigh Regional

[caption id="attachment_10222" align="aligncenter" width="648"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Big East champion Seton Hall women’s golf team sits at 16th place in the standings after taking the course Thursday morning in the first round of the Raleigh Regional of the 2015 NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championships at Lonnie Poole Golf Course in Raleigh, North Carolina. Senior Ali Kruse, who was just named to the All-Big East team for the second consecutive year, led the way for the Pirates, shooting a 3-over-par 75. Among 96 individual golfers, Kruse is currently tied for 34th place. As a team, Seton Hall shot a 21-over-par, 309, in the opening round. The Pirates are playing equal to the expectations as they were the 16th ranked team in the field of 18. The Blue and White currently hold a four-stroke lead over Wichita State and a 19-stroke lead over Farleigh Dickinson, both of whom Seton Hall golfers were paired with to start play. Junior Karlie Zabrosky rode a strong start, firing an even-par through nine holes to finish her first day of play with a 5-over-par, 77. Erin McClure and Cassie Pantelas finished closely behind Zabrosky with a 6-over-par, 78, and a 7-over-par, 79, respectively, through their first 18 holes. Megan Tenhundfeld shot a 10-over-par, 82 to round out the scoring for the Pirates. Seton Hall has an opportunity Friday to move up in the standings. The Hall sits only seven strokes back of Northwestern, which stands alone in 11th place. The No. 2 seed coming into play, LSU, shot an even-par, 288, to take the early lead at the Raleigh Regional. The Tigers have a two-stroke lead over tournament host NC State and a 21- stroke lead over Seton Hall. To move on, the Pirates will need to finish in the top six of the field by the end of play on Saturday. They currently are nine strokes behind the No. 6 spot, which is held by top-seeded South Carolina. The second round of the 54-hole Raleigh Regional will begin Friday morning. Tenhundfeld will be the first to tee off at 9:09 a.m. on Friday, followed by Pantelas at 9:19 a.m., McClure at 9:27 a.m., Zabrosky at 9:36 a.m. and finally, Kruse at 9:45 a.m. Matthew Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu or on twitter @mattzeigafuse