Tennis gets first win of the spring season

The Pirate had six days off after their loss to Stony Brook and played with something to prove.

Seton Hall Athletics

On Saturday, Feb. 21 Seton Hall tennis closed out play in Annapolis, Md., falling 4-3 to Navy.

The Pirates’ tennis team earned their first win of the spring season with a 5-2 victory over Longwood Friday, Feb. 20 in Annapolis.

The Hall (1-4) on the season, saw their first singles match featured junior Hannah Liljekvist, who defeated Samantha Droop in just two sets (6-1, 6-4). Luzie Strike of the Hall also won her match over Logan Antill in three sets (6-1, 4-6, 7-5). The next three Pirates, Marisa Quevedo, Katie Kim, and Julia Keenan, all dropped their matches in straight sets. Junior Isabell Klingert then took the final singles match for the Hall defeating Allison Pavlansky in straight sets (6-2, 6-2).

The Pirates got out to a good start in the doubles matches. Freshman Katie Kim and senior Madison Sheomaker defeated their opponents, Samantha Droop and Katie Porter, eight games to one. The Pirates would go on to drop their next two doubles matches giving Navy the overall victory. The teams of freshmen Marisa Quevedo/Luzie Strike and juniors Julia Keenan/Isabell Klingert both dropped their matches by a score of eight games to six. Although it came down to the wire, the Pirates were not able to prevail.

Just a day earlier on Friday, Feb. 20, Seton Hall opened the weekend with a 5-2 win over Longwood. Led by Klingert continues to stay hot in singles competition winning her fifth straight singles match. The challenger Friday was Nicole Parker who fell to Klingert in a decisive 6-0, 6-1 victory. The victory keeps her unbeaten this spring.

Liljkevist won the clinching point for the Hall defeating Malin Allgurin 7-5, 6-1. Liljkevist was one among several matches that had a very competitive first set, and the winner of the first ended up dominating the second.

Strike didn’t need to make a comeback Friday by taking control early in her match defeating Anna Pelak convincingly 6-0, 6-4.

Kim and Shoemaker won 8-1 in their doubles match over Pelak and Parker. Longwood would end up winning the other two doubles matches to get the point.

Keenan played a very tough first set with Mason Thomas which ended 7-5. Thomas gained control in the second to win 6-2.

The Pirates will be back at it in Piscataway, N.J., on Wednesday to take on Rutgers. Match time is set for 12:30 p.m.