Don't be a Scrooge

Kenneth Cook/Staff Photographer

The story of Ebenezer Scrooge is coming to life with the help of the Seton Hall Theatre program this holiday season.

It will be taking on an interesting twist from the traditional version, in that it starts off with a group of actors who eventually became the main characters in the show.

Senior Christine Byrne, a music and theatre performance double major from Valley Cottage, N.Y., is the show’s director.

As a first time director, Byrne said she has always acted in shows but this time she wanted to see acting from a different perspective and wanted to see how an actor develops. She is in charge of directing 13 actors and a musical ensemble, which she said can be challenging because “sometimes the role of the director is big and other times it’s small.”

She said she will be writing her senior thesis based on her experience as a director.

Byrne said she received the script for the play in August and has been preparing for it ever since.

Casting began in late October and was open to all students, regardless of major or experience.

“I encourage anyone and every- one to come out for auditions,” Byrne said, referring to all productions.

Rehearsals began at the end of October and are five days a week. So as not to make it too strenuous for the actors, no actor has to show up to all five rehearsals in one week, except for the lead, played by senior Raphael Glazov.

“I’ve always liked Charles Dickens and have always loved acting,” Glazov said. “Scrooge is also a fun character to be.”

Junior Lindsey Reams, a computer science major, is the production’s stage manager. She has to manage everything that goes on the stage, write down where the actors move and control where all the light and sound cues go.

Reams said after experiencing theatre work here she would “definitely consider computer related theatre work in the future.”

The show premieres Dec. 4 at 8 p.m. and will play through Dec. 6 at 8 p.m. and Dec. 7 at 2 p.m. The show is free and Byrne said “if you don’t come see it you’re a scrooge.”

Mackenzie Scibetta can be reached at mackenzie.scibetta@student.shu.edu.