Learn how to study abroad

October is International Month at Seton Hall University. Office of International Programs and several internationally inclined student clubs will be promoting international events around campus.

Several events are being held to encourage students to consider international exposure. The month kicks off Oct. 2 with the event, Food Truckin’ Around the World, brought to the University Green from 12 to 3 p.m. by OIP and Student Life. Study abroad information panels and interest meetings for travel opportunities throughout the year are also scheduled.

Many students plan to take advantage of the numerous opportunities to travel that college provides. However, many are unsure where to start or even where to go. The Setonian conducted a random sample of 60 students, a mix of freshmen, sophomores and juniors, and found that 85 percent did not know where the Office of International Programs is located. Additionally, out of the 25 freshmen who participated in the poll, 17 wanted to study abroad but only one of them knew where to find OIP. (The office location is listed below)

The office is taking action towards ameliorating this disparity. Director of OIP Maria Bouzas said, “Every semester we try to spread the word about study abroad through the Involvement Fair, meeting with University Life classes, study abroad fairs, International Celebration Month in October, Study Abroad Week during spring semester, Facebook, Twitter and the study abroad student organization SHIP.”

While more detailed information is available through setting up a meeting with the office, Bouzas gave an overview of some steps to take toward studying abroad.

“The initial steps to studying abroad include coming to OIP for an advising session to explore different programs and get an overview of the process, meeting with their academic advisor to create a plan for transferring credits and meeting with a financial aid advisor to discuss how their finances might transfer to study abroad or remain in place for their return,” she said.

For the future, OIP is focusing on thinking of creative ways to make study abroad a more tangible option for students, according to its director. Bouzas hopes to see the overall number of study abroad students at Seton Hall increase and part of that is letting students know that the office is a resource on campus.

The Office of International Programs is located on the third floor of President’s Hall and is open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Advising hours are 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. and by appointment only Tuesday to Friday. There is a sign on the first floor of Fahy Hall named “Office of International Programs,” but that sign is incorrect.

Emily Balan can be reached at Emily.Balan@student.shu.edu.