Dating around South Orange

If you’re planning your next big date, keep in mind Seton Hall’s own neighborhood. Whether you are looking for a low-key coffee date or a special night out, there are plenty of local options less than a mile off campus.

If what you have in mind is a relaxed night out, plan a spontaneous coffee date after your night class and spend some time with your significant other. This is an easy and inexpensive way to add some excitement to your weekend. It also takes away the pressure of planning because Starbucks on South Orange Ave. in the village is open until 11 p.m. on weekdays.

If you’re looking for something more involved, plan a picnic in Grove Park. Take the SHUfly to Pathmark and pick up some picnic favorites like Uncrustable sandwiches, Baked Lays and precut fruit. Then, pack a blanket with some fun outdoor items like a Frisbee or kite. Meet your significant other on campus and walk to Grove Park. This date is a great way to enjoy the autumn air and spend some quality time outdoors.

If that is too much planning for you, grab Sunday breakfast in the Village. There are plenty of options to choose from including Hot Bagels Abroad, the Village Diner, and the Grid Iron Waffle Shop. This makes for a great way to start your day off right.

However, maybe you are looking to get out of town for the day. If so, take the train out of the South Orange Train Station and explore Hoboken. Take a walk down Washington St. and stop into Carlo’s Bakery, home of the hit TLC show, “Cake Boss.” Then, go walk along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway and enjoy the view across the river of New York City. This date is a great way to escape campus and make some memorable moments with your special someone.

Don’t think you are limited to campus, whether you are looking for something spontaneous and easy or planned and organized. South Orange and the great New York area are filled with options to enjoy.

Rachel Hassett can be reached at rachel.hassett@student.shu.edu.