Create a fall masterpiece that is your best accessory

Photo courtesy of StyleSouls Instagram

Fall leaves or Halloween ghouls: a masterpiece all in the few strokes of a small brush. With a canvas no bigger than a few centimeters, nail technicians and nail art junkies are creating eye-catching looks inspired by the many dimensions of autumn.

“Your nails are a statement, just like any pair of shoes or purse,” sophomore Julia Beyer said. “Not only do people notice that your nails are super cute, but [they] add a little unexpected excitement to any look.”

“Seventeen” magazine published a page on “Spooky Nails” in the October issue featuring a set with alternating Frankensteins and stripes, a candy corn design and a skeleton drawn across four nails. Instagram pages like StyleSouls have posted pumpkin designs, red nails with Dracula fangs, spider webs and a set depicting a crime scene complete with caution tape and fingerprints. Less feared and more fierce, deep tones with glitter accents and three dimensional stones and sequins are also among this season’s nail styles.

Sophomore Karolina Zujewska said navy blue, hunter green and maroon will be popular picks this fall, but a classy red is always a good pick. Zujewska said gold accents are among her nail art favorites.

“I love accenting any darker fall color with a little bit of gold: a gold stripe or one gold nail,” Zujewska said. “Gold reflects the warm fall feeling, plus if you wear gold jewelry it pulls everything together.”

Eliana Chacon, a licensed nail technician in North Arlington, said water marble, dark colors and dark matted nails are big hits this season. Chacon has done nail art ranging from cheetah spots to palm trees to Disney characters. As for the creative process, Chacon said it is indescribable.

“I can’t really explain the process it just comes to me without me even realizing sometime,” Chacon said.

Chacon said there is no better feeling than looking down to see a fun and classy design that will grab attention.

Zujewska and Beyer both said a good manicure is of great importance for many reasons. For one, your nails need to be healthy. From a professional standpoint a clean manicure can show that you are well groomed and well put together. Plus, a manicure can be a great conversation starter, according to Zujewska.

As for the secret behind any good manicure, Beyer attributes it to choosing a good manicurist, while Zujewska said it’s all about maintenance. Chacon said there really is no secret, it’s about nail hydration—the job of your nail tech.

Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.