Women’s volleyball beats RU, loses to UNLV in final day of Invitational

Shelbey Manthorpe
Shupirates.com

On the second day of the 2014 Seton Hall Invitational, the women’s volleyball team took care of Rutgers in a three-set sweep, but fell to UNLV.

Rutgers kept it close, and the Pirates won the matches by a combined score of just 11 points. On Friday, led by Stacey and Shelbey Manthorpe, Seton Hall beat Cornell by a combined 34 points and Siena by a combined 22 points.

Amanda Hansen’s nine kills led the team against RU, and Stacey Manthorpe chipped in eight kills and season-best 17 digs.

In the second match of the day, Seton Hall’s five-match winning streak was snapped by UNLV. Shelbey Manthorpe led the charge with a season-high 39 assists and 21 digs to pace the Pirates, and Danielle Schroeder, Stacey Manthorpe Simona Sekulolva and freshman Sarah Kenneweg, who replaced the injured Tessa Fournier, put forth strong efforts.

In the end, though, UNLV proved to be too much. This match was certainly a battle—the set scores went 25-19, 23-25, 23-25, and finally 21-25.

The Manthorpes made the All-Tournament team, joining Meme Fletcher (Rutgers), Bree Hammel (UNLV), Ceannia Kincade (UNLV), Natasha Rowland (Cornell) and Alyssa Wing (UNLV).

The Pirates will play three matches at the West Virginia Invitational next weekend.

Thomas Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @TJDhoops.