Women’s golf looks to continue early season success at Yale Intercollegiate

@SHU_WGolf

The Seton Hall women’s golf team looks to keep up its solid play as the Pirates head to Yale after tallying two top-three performances to start the fall.

In the opener at the Bucknell Bison Invitational, the Pirates opened up with a win and then followed up with a solid third place finish at the William and Mary Invitational.

“Coming off of winning the Big East they have managed the pressure well,” head coach Sara Doell said. “We averaged a 309 last year and so far this season we have averaged a 300.”

This improvement in overall stroke average has been led by seniors Ali Kruse and Erin McClure, who have both played well this season. Kruse finished 10th at Bucknell with a score of 230 and then seventh at William and Mary with a score of 222. McClure finished second at Bucknell and then recovered from an opening round 80 at William and Mary to finish tied for 16th with a final round 73.

“Ali and Erin have been very steady and have worked hard over the summer.” Doell said, “They are propelling and leading us.”

Even players like junior Megan Tenhundfeld and freshman Macky Fouse, who are not in the normal rotation have shown great play so far this season and will compete for the individual title as well as a spot in the starting five at Yale.

“Meg and Mack are playing well and trying to push into the lineup,” said Doell, “they have made each other better and added depth to the team.”

As far as the Yale Women’s Intercollegiate is concerned, the Hall believes they have an advantage as far as experience is concerned. Many of the players on Coach Doell’s team have played the course before. Doell believes that their previous knowledge of the “blind shots,” where the players cannot see the flag, will really give them an advantage on the golf course.

The fact that this team is the defending conference champion and have started out strong would possibly put even more pressure on this team, but it is simply not the case.

“We’ve played well and it gives us confidence that it will continue, Doell said. “It can add pressure and expectations, but we know what we are doing.”

Coach Doell is confident that this great team play will continue this weekend. “They can all lead us in the starting lineup.” Doell said. “The pressure is not always on one leader to perform.”

As the team prepares for Yale they have been given some rest during the 10-day break between William and Mary and this tournament.

The women’s golf team will be in action at Yale starting with the first round on September 26th and finishing with the third round on Sunday the 28th.