Women’s golf delivers fourth place finish at Yale Intercollegiate

The Seton Hall women’s golf team registered a fourth place finish at the Yale Women’s Intercollegiate in New Haven, Conn.

Shupirates.com

The three-round, 54 hole event concluded with a 46-over-par 306-295-297-898 finish for the Pirates. Seton Hall finished 11 strokes behind team champion and host Yale, six strokes behind Harvard, and four strokes behind fellow Big East member Xavier.

The fourth place finish gives The Hall a top five finish in all three fall tournaments in 2014.

The Pirates’ were led by junior Karlie Zabrosky who shot a career best 71-74-73-218 that was good for third place among 89 competitors, and four strokes behind first place finisher Elisabeth Bernabe of Yale .

Rounding out the top 25 was junior Megan Tenhundfeld, senior Alison Kruse, and freshman Cassie Panielus. Tendhundfeld finished her weekend tied for 15th with a 78-74-74-226 13-over-par finish. Kruse and Panielus finished individual play both tied for 21st. Kruse’s strong finish which included besting her second round 78 by five strokes to finish with a 15-over-par 77-78-73-228 was critical for the Pirates’ top five finish. Panielus’s matched Kruse’s 15-over-par performance with an 82-69-77-228 finish.

Also competing for head coach Sara Doell’s team were seniors Erin McClure and McKenzie Cutter, as well as freshman Macky Fouse. McClure recorded an 18-over-par 77-74-80-23. Cutter and Fouse wrapped up individual play by seeing improvement in each round coming away with 20-over-par 81-78-74-233 and 42-over-par 89-87-79-255 finishes respectively.

Expectations will remain high in South Orange for the defending Big East champion Pirates.

The Seton Hall women’s golf team will be returning to action at the St. John’s Invitational. First and second round play will begin on Monday, Oct. 6 and end at the conclusion of the third round on Tuesday, Oct. 7.

Matthew Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu