Pirate Women’s Soccer Loses Third Straight as the Scoring Drought Continues

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team dropped their third consecutive game as they fell to Monmouth 1-0 on Monday.

The Setonian/Amanda Boyer

This was the third straight game in which the Pirates (1-3) have lost by a 1-0 final, as their scoring drought has reached 337 consecutive minutes without a goal scored by a player wearing blue and white. While defense has been strong, it was unable to keep the Hawks (2-2) off of the scoreboard.

The lone-goal came from Monmouth forward Julie Spracklin in the 39th minute. As the Pirate defense tried to clear the ball away it took multiple deflections and in the middle of the fight for the ball it fell right to Spracklin who buried it into the bottom left corner of the net.

Once again, the Pirates were outshot in a big way, as the Hawks accumulated 19 shots to the Hall’s 7.

Many of the shots taken by the Pirates were long range shots from outside of the 18 yard box and Seton Hall Head Coach Rick Stainton says that needs to change. “That has been our Achilles heel, we are very limited on attacking type players,” Stainton said. “We are using some midfielders and defenders to try and fill those holes.”

The best chance for the blue and white came in the 80th minute, when the Pirates drew a penalty in the box as Hawks goalkeeper Nicole D’Agostino fouled a Seton Hall. Pirates’ sophomore Frankie Maier stepped up to take the penalty, but missed it as her shot hit the left post.

Sophomore Sarah Cortes talked about the missed opportunity. “When you see a penalty kick missed by someone who is so confident on the ball you realize it is not our night.”

It could have been much worse for the Pirates if were not for sophomore goalkeeper Illissa Blackshear who turned away eight shots in the game. Blackshear along with junior Gina Maiorana have been in a competition for the starting spot since the season began and Coach Stainton believes it is not over yet. “They come in on a daily basis to compete for the position,” he said. “We are a results oriented business and in training sessions whoever is playing at a high level will get the nod.”

The Pirates look to end the scoring drought and losing streak as they begin a three-game road trip against Stonybrook. Kick-off against the Sea Wolves is scheduled for September 4th at 7p.m.