Lessons learned from New York- Fashion Week

Alexander Wang, Badgley Mischka, Calvin Klein Collection, Diane Von Furstenberg, Elie Tahari, must I continue all the way to Z? New York Fashion Week has concluded—inevitably designer labels are on the brain along with the crazy, funky, flirty, flawless and fabulous styles.

As Carrie Bradshaw once said, “Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future…this is known as Fashion Week.”

For those who had the opportunity to attend New York Fashion Week and see the looks glide down the catwalks live, I am very very jealous of you. BUT for those far and wide who viewed the shows on screens or in pajamas in the comfort of their own home, there are many lessons that can be taken from the extraordinary chain of events. These lessons extend beyond what to wear and what trends to which you should bid adieu—albeit a lesson of the utmost importance.

Although you may be too wowed by the extravagance of the garments, the models and the runway, take a look at the fundamentals that make up any Fashion Week. Designers work year round to create not only a garment, but a look: a look that a celebrity will don at a Red Carpet event or one that will end up in the ‘worst look of the week’ section of fashion magazines.

Whether their showcase is to be rejoiced or ridiculed, they are committed to their work and dedicated to the agenda of ‘being in.’ Less like a captain sinking with his ship and more like a comedian laughing at his or her own jokes while the audience stares in silence, the designers gleam with pride as their collections disperse to the lonely, yet cramped corner of a publication’s fashion closet or onto their front pages.

We, as students, should take note of their work ethic. As we go out from here to find our places in the world, we must work hard to craft products of our own design, from our own imaginations, of which we can be undeniably proud regardless of what critics might say.

Now look to those figures who bring those garments to life. They walk with great finesse. They walk unaffected by the hundreds of eyes evaluating every inch of their bodies. They walk with confidence. Their shoes may be a size too small, they may feel as if their diaphragm is restricted and the makeup is a couple of brush-strokes too heavy, but they own the look nonetheless. Uncomfortable? Most likely. Can you read that in their facial expressions? Most definitely not.

It is their profession, and it is in the professional world which we will soon enter as young adults that we must adopt their ways. On a job interview, a class presentation or even a first date, confidence will provide you with a parameter of professionalism and maturity.

Be confident in yourself and others will follow the leader and hire you, remember you, want to marry you…okay, maybe not after the first date.

From the catwalks to the streets, rock that deprived-of- sleep-but-ready-to-thrive-look or the I’m-fabulous-and-I- know-it-energy into every endeavor and always remember: life is a fashion show, make your designer proud.

Michelle Foti is a sophomore journalism major from Lindhurst, N.J. She can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.