Day one of the Mountaineer Invitational: Seton Hall volleyball settles for a split

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

After a sweep of Montana in the first game of the Mountaineer Invitational, the Pirates volleyball team were swept by the hosts West Virginia in the nightcap.

The Hall came out firing in the opener against Montana as senior Stacey Manthorpe led the way with her fifth double-double of the season as the Pirates came away with the victory 25-13, 25-15, 25-18 in a rout.

Manthorpe tallied 11 kills and 16 digs in the win, but had some help along the way from Danielle Schroeder, who added 12 kills, a personal season-high for the SHU sophomore.

Not to be out done, Stacey’s sister, Shelbey Manthorpe was in on the action as well, the senior accumulated 33 assists and seven digs in the win.

Sophomore Tessa Fournier did leave the match in the third set with an injured ankle, but still managed to put up 12 digs while she was in there. She would return to play in the nightcap.

In the second match of the double header, the Pirates took on West Virginia, hosts of the invitational and ran into a worthy opponent.

The first two sets went right down to the wire. In the first set, the two squads had 10 ties and the lead changed hands four times. Something had to give. However, the Pirates would make costly service errors that would cost them not only in both sets, but in the match as well.

With the Pirates down 22-20, junior Amanda Hansen spiked over two straight kills to cut the deficit to just one at 23-22, but the next time Hansen served she made a costly error, leading to a set- winning block for the Mountaineers on a Stacey Manthorpe attack.

In the second set, the blue and white trailed by a score of 23-21 and were able to block back-to-back attacks from the Mountaineers and draw even with the host. However, the momentum was lost after another service error from freshman Sarah Kenneweg. This one would put the Pirates in an 0-2 hole that they could not come back from.

They would go on to drop the third set 25-16 and were swept by the hosts. However, Stacey Manthorpe despite the loss, recorded her second double-double of the day and sixth of the season.

The Pirates (6-3) look to rebound as they finish up the Mountaineer Invitational tomorrow against Saint Francis (PA). The first serve is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.

Sean Saint Jacques can be reached at sean.saintjacques@student.shu.edu.