Administrator's son wins Met Opera competition

Many people in their 20s can say they have graduated college, found the love of their life or landed their dream job, but not too many can say they have won the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions.

Patrick Guetti, son of Dr. Joan F. Guetti, senior associate provost, was one of five winners at the Grand Finals concert at the prestigious Metropolitan Opera House March 30.

Guetti, along with the four other winners, Julie Adams, Ao Li, Yi Li and Amanda Woodbury, received a $15,000 award.

The five winners came out on top of a group of nine competitors after singing two arias each before a panel of seven judges, according to The New York Times. To get to this round, these nine vocalists were part of a group of more than 1,500 competitors from both regional and district competitions in the United States and Canada.

Guetti said she knows this achievement will open doors for her son's future.

"As a parent, you always hope for the best for your children," Guetti said. "I felt gratified and elated for him that all his hard work and practice were recognized and rewarded."

At the competition he had the Met Opera Orchestra directed by Marco Armiliato behind him, according to The New York Times.

"What could be better than to hear your son sing with the Metropolitan Opera orchestra backing him up?" Guetti said.

Watching Patrick's growth in his opera career and watching him prepare for this competition has reinforced the doctrine of chasing one's dreams for Guetti.

"It makes you a believer in that someone with talent and dedication can achieve a dream," Guetti said.

For the future, Guetti said she would like to see Patrick's voice take him back to The Met.

Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.