Pirates split in day two in Clearwater

The softball team (4-15) was back in action Saturday for another doubleheader on day two of the University of South Florida Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Fla.

After silent bats on day one, the team was able to push 11 runs across in their split of the day's two games.The Pirates took a 6-0 win over Quinnipiac in the first game of the series, breaking an 11 game losing sstreak that dated back to Feb. 16. The team dropped the second game of the day, 6-5 to Central Michigan.

The Pirates struck first against the Chippewas with a three-run second inning. Junior Sara Haefli led off the inning with a double and was brought home by an RBI single from freshman Noel Lent. An errant throw trying to catch Lent stealing second would result in two more scores for Seton Hall.

Senior Meredith Henze led off the third inning with a single and would later come around to score on another defensive error by the Chippewas, bringing the score to 4-1 in favor of Pirates.

Central Michigan's offense got rolling in the fourth inning, with two straight singles and a walk to load the bases. The Chippewas plated a total of five runs in the inning off a sacrifice fly, a two-run double and two RBI singles to erase Seton Hall's lead and put Central Michigan up 6-4.

Seton Hall answered in the fifth with a solo homerun from Henze. The third baseman's seventh homerun of the season brought the Pirates to within a run, 6-5. The Pirates were unable to muster anything up for the rest of the game, going down in order the rest of the way. The 6-5 loss was the team's first one-run loss of the season.

Junior Casey Moses started the game for the Pirates giving up five runs in only 3.2 innings of work.

In the first game, the Pirates blanked Quinnipiac 6-0.

The game was scoreless until the fourth inning when RBI infield singles from Moses and sophomore Yasmin Harrell with the bases loaded brought the score to 2-0 Seton Hall.

The game would remain at 2-0 until the seventh inning, when the Pirates would blow the game open. After a lead-off single by sophomore Alex Rabbetts, Harrell would add an RBI triple. Harrell would later come home to score after sophomore Jackie DiPietro reached on an error.

Junior Danielle DeStaso plated DiPietro with a sacrifice fly and junior Colltey Sheldon brought DeStaso in with an RBI single to left field.

DeStaso took the win for the Pirates, tossing a complete game shutout with 15 strikeouts, a Seton Hall single-game record. Her 20th career complete game moves her to 2-2 on the season.

The Pirates return to the field Sunday at 11:15 a.m. when they take on Maine.

Gerard Gilberto can be reached at gerard.gilberto@student.shu.edu.