Stillman School to be represented in research challenge

A team of five Stillman School of Business students are going to New York City to represent Seton Hall University in the Charter Financial Analysts Institute Research Challenge Local Final Four on Thursday, Feb. 20.

The team advanced after competing against 18 schools in the New York region, including Rutgers University, Montclair State University, Fordham University and The College of New Jersey.  

Competitors first researched and wrote a report on the subject company, which was Colgate-Pamolive. Then, the students prepared and gave a presentation, during which theteam answered more than 50 questions about the presentation, senior marketing major Chase Laster said.  

The top four teams advance to NYC Local Final, and the winner of this competition moves onto America's Regional competition in Denver.The winner of this competition then travels to Bangkok, Thailand, to represent America in the Global Final.

Five students, Amanda Bronson, Bradley Childs, Ping Zhou, Chase Laster and Arush Pandya were all chosen by Dr. Tony Loviscek the finance department chairman.

The grand prize for the Local Final is $5,000.

"This competition is not for the faint of heart," Bronson said.  "It takes a lot of determination, teamwork, patience, skill and time. We spent well over 100 hours researching and developing our report and presentation."

"It is a once in a lifetime experience for me," Zhou said.

Childs called it a "tremendous learning experience."

"When we found out we won, I jumped around in my living room, I was so excited," Bronson said.

The team praised Loviscek for all of his efforts. "We would like to thank Tony Loviscek for putting in long nights and weekends with our team and for his commitment to serving students."

Zhou said she has high hopes in this competition and hopes to one day be a CFA charter holder.  "I highly recommend the CFA Institute Research Challenge program to future students," she said. "It is a great out-of-classroom activity."

Kaitlin Stellingwerf can be reached at kaitlin.stellingwerf@student.shu.edu.