Alum directs award-winning documentary about Babe Ruth

Seton Hall alumnus Andrew Lilley, '98, had his documentary, "I'll Knock a Homer for You: The Timeless Story of Johnny Sylvester and Babe Ruth," air on NJTV Monday. This documentary won the Garden State Film Festival award for Best Homegrown Documentary Feature earlier this year.

The desire to film has always been a part of him, Lilley said.

"I had always been involved in film. Even when I was a kid I would just pick up a camera and film stuff," Lilley said.

Lilley said he chose to make this film because of its ability to reach all audiences.

"I felt the story had mass appeal and I think it touched upon a lot of timeless or universal aspects anyone could relate to," Lilley said. "I felt it was a story that could connect with anyone."

Dr. Christopher Sharrett, professor of communication and the arts, said he knew Lilley had the potential to be successful.

"Andrew struck us all as having a lot of potential in both the academic area and also as a practitioner of film and television," Sharrett said.

"I'm not exactly surprised that he's doing so well now because he certainly shined during his time here," he said.

Lilley said that the most satisfying part of this process has been knowing that he did something well and gave it his all despite it being challenging.

"I hope I made something that will stand the test of time, that people even years from now will be able to enjoy and learn about," Lilley said.

"I'll Knock a Homer for You" is set to air again on NJTV and will soon be streaming on http://www. njtvonline.org/programs/njdocs/. For more information, visit website loosegravelfilms.com.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at samantha.giedris@student.shu.edu.