The Midterm Survival Guide

Even though everyone studies differently, here are some tips and tricks to surviving your midterms:

1.Use your time wisely. Obviously time management is an important part of college, but it's also crucial for studying well. The best studying is focused studying, so taking breaks is necessary. Whether it's a snack break, a quick stretch or a few minutes watching a Youtube clip, taking a break can help you focus better when you return to your work. That doesn't mean your break time should outweigh your work time, though, so be careful how many breaks you take.

2.Let to-do lists become your new best friend. Rather than planning out every minute of your day, which you're likely to get off track, just write down all the things you need to do and feel the accomplishment that comes with crossing things off.

3.Try not to cram. Study slowly and in advance so you can really comprehend the information. Once you've done this, reviewing everything quickly before you take your exam can help ensure that all the information is fresh in your mind.

4.Study in good lighting. If you're in a dimly lit room, you're not going to be nearly as focused and you're not going to be able to see the material well. Study in a brightly lit place where you can't help but focus.

5.Know what noise you need to study to. If you need to study in silence, get a study room or study on the top floors of the library. If you like listening to music, or having the T.V. on in the background, study in a place where you can do those things. Knowing what environment helps you focus is key to processing information well.

6.Choose study buddies wisely. Studying with groups can be distracting, but if you stay on task and quiz each other, you can benefit from each individual person's way of thinking.

7.Use flashcards. If you need to memorize information, flashcards are always an encouraged tool. If you don't feel like buying notecards, make your own online.

8.Don't stress. Regardless of the weight of your exam grade on your average, stressing isn't going to get you anywhere. If anything it will keep you distracted and affect your sleep. Take a deep breath, get plenty of sleep and use that to-do list.

Things around campus:

Bring your own mug or cup to the Cove to get discounted coffee!

Pay attention at the library -- around midterms and finals Dunkin' Donuts sometimes gives out free doughnuts.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at samantha.giedris@student.shu.edu