University tradition runs deep in print

Since 1856, Seton Hall University has established many traditions that unite our community. Some of the most notable traditions are Mass, Blue Day, convocation, avoiding stepping on the seal, the Christmas tree lighting, visiting the Pirate statue for good luck, and going to basketball games. Another longstanding tradition at SHU is the publication of The Setonian.

The first issue of the first volume of this news- paper went to print in 1924. Of the school's 157- year history, nearly 90 years have been documented by The Setonian. Think about it this way: Your grandparents, or maybe even your great-grandparents, were young when the first copy of The Setonian was created.

While honoring traditions, The Setonian also is keeping up with the times. In May, we surveyed the student body for suggestions on how to tailor our content and overall look to their needs and interests. After a summer of hard work, the result is this redesign. We think students will appreciate the cleaner, streamlined look.

We are also focused on content. As the voice of the Seton Hall community and the official under- graduate newspaper of the school, it is our goal to publish truthful, intriguing content on topics that students will care about.

The media industry is constantly in flux. National newspapers and college newspapers alike have reduced print copies or eliminated print versions entirely in recent years. The fate of print media is uncertain.

Despite this, traditions are traditions, and each new Setonian staff is determined to be an integral part of Seton Hall's future. We appreciate your readership and feedback and look forward to an incredible 90th year of working with many of you. Any and all birthday presents can be delivered to University Center Room 224.