WSOU up for mtvU's Woodie award again

Seton Hall's Pirate Radio, 89.5 FM WSOU, has been nominated for an mtvU's College Radio Woodie Award for the second year in a row.

The award-winning station is up against several other college stations across for the award, a category introduced to the annual mtvU's Woodie Awards in 2004.

The mtvU's Woodie Awards is an award show with winners voted on by college students.

Just as in previous years, the winner in each category is chosen based on who received the great­est number of votes on the Woodie Awards' website.

Mark Maben, the station's gen­eral manager, and the rest of the staff said they cannot help but be excited about the nomination.

"It is always an honor for Se­ton Hall and WSOU when our campus radio station is nominated for any award," Maben said. "It speaks to the hard work, dedica­tion and professionalism of the students involved at the station."

Maben said that if the station were to win, not only would it receive the notable 'wood' award but there would be added benefits for the success.

"In addition to the actual award, there is the national expo­sure that comes with being cho­sen," Maben said.

Whether the station does or does not walk away from this nomination with a victory, Maben said WSOU will continue to grow and develop for the better.

"With or without a win, and of course it would be great to win, the future of WSOU is bright," Maben said. "WSOU is one of the jewels in Seton Hall's crown, and whether the station wins the Woodie Award this year or not, everyone involved at WSOU will continue to work hard to keep 89.5 FM one of the best college radio stations in the nation."

WSOU plans to celebrate its 65th anniversary this coming April with all its loyal listeners.

In addition to the celebration, the station will proceed with its daily programming, doing what it does best, he said.

"Our sports department not only continues to broadcast bas­ketball games but is busy gearing up for baseball season, and the freshmen who joined the station this year are proving to be a sharp and motivated bunch," Maben said.

Voting for the top 25 stations ended on Wednesday.

The ten stations with the most votes will move on to the next round for a second block of vot­ing, beginning today.

The ultimate winner will be announced at the award show on March 17.

Natalie Rebisz can be reached at natalie.rebisz@student.shu.