Senior guard breaks, extends Hall's 3-point shooting record

If there is one thing senior guard Brittany Morris knows how to do, it is connecting from down­town with 165 career 3-point bas­kets.

She has shot an efficient 31 percent from long-range on 55-173 shooting this season. All year Morris said she has had the hopes of catching and eventually sur­passing the all-time school record for 3-pointers made in a career.

For Morris, that record can now officially be called hers as she was able to pass Ebonie Williams' (2007-10) and Jodie Brooks' (1990-94) shared mark of 156 3-pointers over the course of their respective careers.

"I really can't put it into words, it still feels like I didn't do it," Morris said following Wednes­day's win against Providence. "It hasn't hit me yet, but I'm just really happy that I actually did something before I left (Seton Hall University)."

The women's team traveled to Tampa, Fla. last Saturday to take on the University of South Flori­da Bulls.

The team would fall at the Sun Dome by a score of 67-56; how­ever, Morris was able to hit six 3-pointers in the game to break the record.

She entered that game three 3-pointers shy of the career mark and left with a record 159 3-point­ers made in her career.

"I just put in some extra time and effort," Morris said. "That's the result of coming in and doing the little things and just focusing when you get out on the court."

It was her third 20-point game of the season.

Also in the game, she hit six 3-pointers, which is the third most in any game in program history.

Against the visiting Providence Friars on Wednesday night, Mor­ris was able to put in another suc­cessful night of work.

She finished the 72-56 win over the Friars shooting 10-19 from the floor including 6-14 from beyond the arc reaching a career-high 27 points in the team's fourth Big East win.

Morris also showed her ability to make her 3-pointers count, as she drained one with 13:50 left in the second half during a Friars comeback attempt.

Providence rallied to within six points, but after that 3-point basket, the Pirates were able to bounce back with an 8-2 run, sparked by Morris' bucket.

As a team, the Pirates will look to continue their sharp shooting when they travel up to Storrs, Conn. this weekend to take on the No. 3 Connecticut Huskies take on the Huskies Saturday at 4 p.m..

Morris made a point of saying that the team's all-around shoot­ing is going to be "really crucial."

"It (3-point shooting) is defi­nitely going to help," Morris said. "But we're going to need every­thing in that game, both offense and defense."

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu. He can be found on Twitter @david­heim12