Lower enrollment to be expected, despite more peer advisors

With more peer advisors being employed for next year paired with the expansions on campus leads to the question, will the University higher the enrollment count for Fall?

The vice president of enrollment management, Dr. Alyssa McCloud, said no.

"The University is looking to bring in a smaller class than last fall," McCloud said. "Last fall we brought in 1,455 freshmen, this year we are looking to bring in about 1,250 - 1,300."

As for PAs, Freshman Studies plans to hire 55 advisers for the upcoming academic year, according to freshman mentor and PA manager Elizabeth Hoehn.

"We have utilized our Peer Advisers for tutoring a lot more frequently in the last year, and we are expanding our team to accommodate the extra hours," Hoehn said.

According to sophomore PA Veronica Beck, there might be four Pirate Adventures this summer for the incoming freshman instead of the usual three.

But Hoehn said that the extra Pirate Adventure is not the reason for hiring more PAs.

"The possibility of an additional Pirate Adventure will not affect the number of Peer Advisers hired," Hoehn said. "We want to make sure we have the right number to support our freshman class as comprehensively as possible throughout the academic year."

According to Hoehn, the number of freshmen mentors will not change.

While the University has lowered the recruitment goal, McCloud said she does not know anything about the expansion to the freshman dorm.

Tiffany Do can be reached at tiffany.do@student.shu.edu.