Chelsea Handler knockoff is a 'fresh take' on talk shows

Taking a page out of Chelsea Handler's book, Whitney Cummings bring a fresh face to comedy talk shows on E! with her new series, "Love You, Mean It." The show debuted on Nov. 28 and offers a funny per­spective on current trends and Cummings's life. It can potentially be best described at as a standup comedy meets talk show-type platform.

"Love You, Mean It" may come off as a replica of "Chelsea Lately" (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). Cummings's fresh take on talk shows was a pleasent surprise. Though Handler produces the show and there was a sort of "round table" element, Cummings's show proved to be relatively original and definitely witty.

Never slacking in the comedy depart­ment, Cummings's new weekly sound off is sure to attract Handler's audience while still helping her create her own following. In addition to the humorous and enjoyable segments, the most exciting part of the pre­miere could easily be seen as the interview she did with Mindy Kahling. If Cummings were stick to longer interviews and cut out a few of the video segments, her show's en­ticement level would have skyrocketed.

"Love You, Mean It" may just seem like a combination of "Chelsea Lately" and "The Soup," but Cummings's humor varies and gives her show of an edge. Though E! has yet to show that it can produce something truly original, "Love You, Mean It" will likely do well and continue to gain a large audience.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at Sa­mantha.giedris@student.shu.edu.