Model students to light tree

Seton Hall will be welcoming new tradition with the third an­nual tree lighting as two students were selected to light the tree on Thursday, at 5:45 p.m. on the Green.

Senior Veronica Grupico and freshman Charlene Oselador were chosen by the Office of the Presi­dent to participate in the ceremony this year.

Surprised and excited, they are both looking forward to represent­ing each of their classes.

Grupico said she felt thankful to be given the opportunity. In her four years here, this will be the first tree lighting that she will at­tend.

"To be cho­sen as a represen­tation of the class of 2013 is very flatter­ing," Gru­pico said.

Osela­dor is also very ex­cited. This was also a total sur­prise for her.

"I was very surprised when I heard that I had been chosen, but it was cer­tainly a pleasant surprise," she said.

"I have no idea why I was cho­sen, but I hope that it means that I have been doing well so far this semester."

Since this is Grupico's last year at Seton Hall, she is very thankful.

"I'm grateful for this opportu­nity and send a huge thank you to those who have vouched for me," she said.

Similarly, Oselador was grate­ful.

"Being that this is my first year (attending Seton Hall), I didn't even know that there was going to be a tree lighting," she said. "The Christmas season is my favorite time of year, so I am honored to represent the freshmen class in this way."

Although there is not a set criteria for being chosen to par­ticipate in the tree lighting, both Grupico and Oselador have shown their leadership on campus.

Grupico is a resident assistant and a member of the Senior Class Council and Oselador was the first place winner in the Freshman Studies' "This I Believe" essay contest.

This Christmas season, they will represent what the University believes to be a role model.

Both students have been ac­tive and done outstanding work on campus that has attracted the at­tention of the administration.

Patrick Maroun can be reached at patrick.maroun@stu­dent.shu.edu.