Volleyball swept at No. 17 Louisville

The volleyball team lost its second straight match on Sunday when No. 17 Louisville swept the Pirates (21-25, 23-25, 20-25).

In the first set, the Pirates found themselves down 7-3, but an 11-3 run gave Seton Hall a 14-10 lead. The Cardinals went on a 7-0 run of their own.

With Louisville up 19-18, the nationally-ranked Cardinals would score six of the last nine points to take the set 25-23.

Louisville jumped out to a 6-2 advantage in the second set and would build their lead to a 19-14 lead. The Pirates would cut the Louisville lead to two, 20-18.

Trailing by three points, 23-20, sophomore Shelbey Manthorpe would score the next two points of the set, bringing Seton Hall to within one.

After a timeout, the Cardinals would win two of the last three points to take the set 25-23.

The final set was all Cardinals from the start as they took a nine-point lead, 16-7. The Pirates would fight back, scoring eight of the next 11 to cut the lead to 19-15.

Down 23-19, Sophomore Stacey Manthorpe would bring the deficit to 23-20 with one of her 12 kills in the match, but Louisville would score the next two points to take the set.

In the loss, Shelbey Manthorpe finished with her second-straight triple-double, recording 10 kills, 21 assists and 15 digs.

Besides the Manthorpes, no Pirate had more than five kills, as Louisville held the Pirates to a .115 hit percentage.

The Pirates return to action on at 2p.m. Sunday against DePaul in Chicago.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.Brennan@student.shu.edu