Three Pirates honored by Big East

Three Pirates, men's soccer's redshirt senior goalkeeper Michael Kuzan and freshman Amanda Hansen and sophomore Shelbey Manthorpe of the volleyball team, were honored by the Big East Conference on Monday for their in-game performances this week.

Kuzan was tabbed as the Big East Conference Goalkeeper of the Week by recording back-to-back career-highs in saves in a 1-1 week for the Pirates.

In two games Kuzan saved 27 shots, while only letting in two goals for the Pirates. His 14 saves in a 1-0 defeat in Syracuse is just two saves short of the Seton Hall single-game record, set in 2010 by Sean Carr at North Carolina.

Hansen was named Big East Volleyball Freshman of the Week after helping the Pirates to a 2-0 week to open up their Big East schedule. Hansen recorded 19 kills in two matches, including a career-high 12 kills against the University of South Florida on Sunday.

Hansen's teammate Manthorpe was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll after recording her fifth triple double of the season on Saturday against Pittsburgh. Manthorpe posted a match-high 34 assists, 12 kills and 16 digs.

Manthorpe nearly recorded another triple double on Sunday, recording a match-high 34 assists, eight kills and seven digs.

This is the second time this season Manthorpe has been recognized by the Big East. The first time came on Aug. 27 as Manthorpe was named Player of the Week.

The volleyball team continues to stay hot, winning 10 consecutive games for the first time since 1996. The 13-1 Pirates have the program's best start since 1992.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.Brennan@student.shu.edu