Women's volleyball returns home after on the road losing streak

The volleyball team looks to rebound after losing four of their last five matches, including three straight road losses.

They return home for matches against Georgetown and Villanova this weekend.

The Pirates are coming off two losses on the road against Marquette and Syracuse.

In the match against Marquette, the Pirates won the first two sets, but were unable to finish off the Golden Eagles as Marquette won the next three sets to escape with the 3-2 win.

Head coach Kris Zeiter was ejected in the fifth set against the Golden Eagles, according to the Marquette athletic website.

Zeiter refused to comment on the ejection.

The Pirates were unable to maintain any momentum in their match against Syracuse, as the Hall lost in four sets.

A high point for the Pirates this weekend was Shelbey Manthorpe's second triple-double of the season as she racked up 10 kills, 24 assists, and 16 digs in the match against Syracuse.

Zeiter said that he "can't criticize" his team's performance this weekend.

"We couldn't keep up," Zeiter said.

After starting 4-1 in Big East play, the Pirates now sit in eighth place in the Big East with a 4-4 record in conference play.

Returning home may bode well for the Pirates as they are 5-2 at Walsh Gymnasium this season.

The team's two home losses are to TCU and Louisville.

Zeiter said he was happy to return home after this road trip because it is easier to recover from games at home.

"It's a much easier weekend," Zeiter said. "You're less tired at home."

The Hoyas have traditionally had the Pirates number, with a 23-8 all-time record.

The past five matchups, however, have told a different story.

Seton Hall has won four, with their only loss coming in a five-set match in 2008, which knocked the Pirates out of playoff contention.

In similar fashion, Villanova has also historically given the Pirates problems.

The Wildcats are 22-9 all-time against the Pirates, and have won four out of the last five, including two straight three-match games.

The Hall's last win against Villanova came in 2008 after a five-set match.

The Pirates have neither defeated nor lost to both Georgetown and Villanova in the same season in the past five years.

Zeiter said that he is not preparing for these two matches any differently than any other game, but he looks to improve his team's consistency.

"We need to be more consistent with energy and effort," Zeiter said.

Zeiter added that he looks for the team to regain momentum on their season this weekend at home.

"It's a very emotional and fast game," Zeiter said. "We have to keep our lows closer to our highs."

In regards to their recent skid, Zeiter said he is confident in his team's ability to return to form.

"We hope to bounce back," Zeiter said. "We're a tough team, determined to accomplish a goal."

The Pirates will play Georgetown this Friday, Oct. 28 before facing Villanova the following Sunday, Oct. 30.

TJ Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu