Seton Hall men's golf starts season with sixth place finish in tournament

Teeing off for the first time this season, the men's golf team placed sixth overall at the Turning Tiger Intercollegiate Tournament in Verona, NY.

Behind a team effort, the Pirates finished the weekend shooting 32-over-par, to finish sixth out of 14 teams.

Senior Troy Spencer shot a career best 5-under-par, for the tournament.

On the first two rounds, Spencer shot a 3-under-par before finishing the competition 1-over-par on the final day of the tournament.

His performance on the course this weekend placed him tied for third out of 74 golfers.

The Hall had major contributions from everyone that participated this weekend.

Freshmen Derrick Kim, in his first collegiate event, shot an 11-over-par to finish 32nd.

Junior and two time All Big East performer Brandon Park shot a 12-over-par which landed him 36th.

Also adding to the sixth place finish was John Dawson Neufeld with a 22-over-par and Gary Dunne, who shot a 25-over-par.

Neufeld's third round was his best, shooting a 1-over-par for the day.

The Pirates were able to shoot better then the University of Connecticut, who finished eight shots behind the Hall and was the only other Big East school in the tournament.

The weather was also a factor on the final day of the tournament.

On Monday, they played most of round three in the rain, resulting in an increase of scoring for all teams but the Pirates were still able to move up two spots to secure a sixth place finish overall.

The tournament was won by Baylor University, who finished 11-under-par in the three day tournament.

The individual winner of the tournament was Texas Christian University's freshman Julien Brun.

Brun took the individual title by finishing 8-under-par, including a 5-under-par on the second day of the tournament.

The mens golf team will tee off next Monday in College Park, Maryland at the Maryland Intercollegiate tournament.

The women's golf team will begin their season this weekend with at the Bucknell Invitational, a yearly tournament held in Bucknell, Penn.

Last season, tthe womenp layed their first tournament in program history at Bucknell and finished tenth place out of 18 teams.

Joseph Pergola can be reached at joseph.pergola@student.shu.edu