Men's soccer: Hall defeats Columbia

Following a disappointing start to the Big East season the men's soccer team rebounded with a 1-0 victory over an undermanned Columbia team.

The win pushes the Pirates record to 4-3-2 on the year. Columbia drops to 3-5-1 this season.

The Hall played most of the game a man up with the Lions receiving a red card in the 38 minute and another in the 64 minute.

"It's good we came out with the win," head coach Manfred Schellscheidt said. "I wasn't happy the way it unfolded, especially when we were up two men. We didn't respond in a smart way and it made life difficult for us."

Even though the Hall played two men up for the last 25 minutes, the Pirates' offense was not able to score and had difficulties keeping control of possession.

The lone goal of the game came in the 23 minute with senior Giovanni Zammiello heading in a corner kick from freshman Kai Greene past the Columbia goalkeeper.

Sophomore Max Garcia lead the team with four shots and two on goal with Zammiello and sophomore Christia Battistesa each recording three shots.

Freshman goalkeeper Mario DeClarico recorded his second shutout of his career and not having to make any saves despite the Lions threatening in the last 10 minutes.

The Pirates next play Oct. 21 versus Villanova at Owen T. Carroll Field.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu