Sucker Punch' record sugar, spice and everything nice

Following the complexities of Zack Snyder's film "Sucker Punch," its soundtrack reinforces the message that chaos and beauty can coexist.

Since the trailer debuted in November and the commercials started playing over the past few weeks, the film has been advertised with mysterious images: a dragon chasing a WWII bomber, a machine gun wielding samurai and cyborgs beings cleaved in two by swords.

To capture the essence of the film, the soundtrack collects re-imagined classic songs, many of which feature performances from the film's actors. In accordance with the dark and dismal tones of the film, the soundtrack features covers of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Emily Browning, the film's lead actress, and "Where Is My Mind" by Yoav which also features Browning.

While the protagonists of this film may seem like sweet and innocent girls on the outside, below the surface they are extremely volatile women looking to take a stand.

To reflect this femme fatale mentality, songs such as "Army of Me (Sucker Punch Remix)" by Björk featuring Skunk Anansie and "Search and Destroy" by Skunk Anansie illustrate the "kick ass and take names" code of conduct that each character embraces. Both of these songs, with their quick beats and loud choruses, exemplify the fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled thrill ride that is "Sucker Punch."

Although the action and fantasy sequences of this film demand a significant part of viewers' attention, the grace and beauty of the female form is a cornerstone in the story of "Sucker Punch." To properly display the alluring qualities of each of these women, songs like "Asleep" by Emily Browning and the Beatles hit "Tomorrow Never Knows" by Alison Mosshart and Carla Azar give the soundtrack a slow and provocative side. This effectively accentuates the sexy and playful side of an otherwise chaotic story.

Like the beginning of her performance of the film, Emily Browning's rendition of "Asleep" starts off very soft but finishes with a distinct sense of confidence.

As for "Tomorrow Never Knows," this song lasts a whopping seven minutes and seems fitting for the credits due to its long instrumental segments and minimal use of vocals.

The soundtrack enlists the aid of various genres ranging from hip-hop, electronic and classic rock.

Like the general theme of crossing stylistic barriers, this soundtrack creates a varied and vibrant sound that illustrates the intermingled world that is "Sucker Punch."

Christopher Spall can be reached at christopher.spall@student.shu.edu.