Year of the Rabbit

As a longstanding tradition celebrating the Chinese New Year, China Night is an opportunity for students to learn about Asian culture. The event will begin at 7 p.m. in the Jubilee Hall auditorium with instrumental and dance performances from Seton Hall students, The King's Arts and Dance Studio and Ziran Martial Arts. Asian cuisine will be prepared by the Chinese Student Association.

Co-hosting China Night, the Asian Studies Association is providing activities for audiences, including games, raffles, and prizes, while giving students the opportunity for priority points.

Jamie S. Kwai, president of the ASA, recognizes China's impact on Western culture. "The world is changing," she said. "China is becoming one of the top economies and everyone is learning different languages.

Kwai encouraged students to attend China Night. "This is a fun way to get involved and learn new cultures," she said.

With the advent of the year of the rabbit, ASA is fundraising to include party favors, key chains, red and dragon decorations and an arts and crafts night for members as well as a trip to China Town parade on Feb. 12 from 11 a.m-5 p.m.

China Night was founded in 1981 by Dr. Pak-Wah E. Leung, former Chairman of the Asian Studies Department. As a 30 year old tradition, China Night brings cultural awareness to the Seton Hall community while providing entertainment and fun activities.

Leung emphasizes the event as "a great opportunity to bring China/Asia to the Seton Hall campus so that our students can appreciate Chinese culture and enrich them culturally even without leaving the campus."

Leung stated Seton Hall is working alongside Chinese universities with exchange programs to further strengthen educational relationships. "For over 30 years, U.S. relationship with China has changed dramatically because of China's Open Door Policy," he said.

The Asian Studies Department and the ASA are not only promoting Chinese cultural awareness. As part of an initiative to educate students about Japanese culture, both will be hosting Japan Week in March. The following week-long event will include festivals, skits and demonstrations, as well as a game fair.

As an Elementary and Special Education major, Kwai understand the importance of diversity both inside and outside the classroom. "Our main goal is to have fun and let other people explore cultural backgrounds, heritage, and traditions," she said.

Professor Leung affirms that China night is a great link for global education. "The world is becoming one--a Global Village. This is a multi-cultural, multi-lingual world now," he said. "It is therefore good to learn an Asian language—Chinese or Japanese or Arabic— and the Asian culture as a global citizen."

The ASA can be reached at their Facebook group, Seton Hall ASA.

Katia Diaz can be reached at katia.diaz@student.shu.edu