Pirates defeat St. Peter's 69-49

The Pirates defeated the St. Peter's Peacocks 69-49 Monday night at the Prudential Center improving the Hall's record to 3-3 on the season.

Without senior Jeremy Hazell's presence in the lineup, the Pirates needed to find a way to score after scoring under 60 points the last two games.

"We don't have the luxury of giving up a lot of easy buckets right now just because we took 24 points off the board," head coach Kevin Willard said. "[Hazell] was playing at such a high caliber, shooting over 50 percent and rebounding."

On the game the Hall shot 40 percent from the field but only 7-27 from three point range for 26 percent.

"I give everyone with a good shot to shoot the ball," Willard said. "When you start saying guys can and can't shoot that's when guys pass up open shots."

Leading the Pirates was junior Jordan Theodore with 11 points on 5-10 shooting and senior Jeff Robinson also scoring in double figures with 10 points.

For St. Peter's, senior Ryan Bacon led all scorers with 13 points along with adding five rebounds.

The Hall started the game with a new starting lineup for the fifth time this season with freshman Patrick Auda making his first career start.

"Starting lineups are irrevelent to me," Willard said. "The guys who show themselves in practice are going to play."

The Pirates started the game with four straight points, all from Robinson with a free throw and a three pointer.

Theodore, who was left out of the starting lineup for the first time this season, entered the game after the first TV timeout and the Hall holding a slim 6-5 lead.

St. Peter's took a one point lead at 9-8 before, Theodore made a jumper while falling down with 13:08 remaining in the first half, starting a 11-0 run for the Pirates, for the 19-9 lead which the Hall would not relinquish.

"It was a lot of me reading the D and reacting to that," Theodore said. "Being able to drive and find the open man."

The Pirates opened their lead up 11 points with 33 seconds remaining in the half before a dunk from St. Peter's Bacon closed the score to 29-20 at the end of the first half.

At the end of the half the Hall shot only 21 percent from three going 3-14 without a single player making multiple three's.

Starting the second half the Peacocks cut the Pirates' lead down to six points after Bacon converted a three point play putting the score at 36-30, when the Hall came back with a 8-0 run, starting with a pair of layups from Pope extending the lead to 44-30.

With the 14 point lead with 13:51 left in the game, the Pirates would not allow St. Peter's within 10 points the rest of the game.

The Hall took their biggest lead of the game at 22 points with senior Keon Lawrence hitting the first of two free throws with 5:04 to go in the game.

Freshman Anali Okoloji would add his first career points in a Pirate uniform with 4:11 remaining in the game, and finish the game with three points.

At the end of the game the Hall held the 17-1 advantage on second chance points and also held a 34-18 advantage with points in the paint.

The Pirates do not play until Dec. 8 against the Arkansas Razorbacks in the SEC/Big East Invitational held at Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY.

"We have a lot of time to get better and gel together as a team," Theodore said. "It also lets us add a few set in the offense."

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu.