Pass up Prudential's fast food: exploring Newark's cuisine

Get out the blue body paint: the excitement of basketball season has begun. While the games are fun on their own, Pirates fans looking to prolong their day's outing in Newark can find many affordable restaurants within walking distance of the arena.

It could be argued that the bus ride is an integral part of the basketball season because it raises morale on the way to and from the game as well as quick and easy transportation.

This may be true for some students, but for others willing to mix it up, there are other, more adventurous ways to get to the game.

One of the advantages of Seton Hall is its short walk to the South Orange Train Station. This convenient walk allows students to go almost anywhere in New Jersey as well as New York City.

In terms of going to a basketball game, the train is a useful tool for those who do not wish to take the bus. Students can take whatever train is most convenient to them to Newark Broad Street.

For students, this train ticket would only cost $2.25 and takes roughly 15 minutes between stations.

From Newark Broad Street, you would then take the NJ Light Rail to Newark Penn Station, which is another $1.50 in expenses. This may seem costly and time consuming, but it will allow students to arrive at games earlier than the bus as well as provide time to sample the delicacies of Newark's Ironbound district.

Not far from the Prudential Center and a quick walk from Newark Penn Station are numerous Portuguese restaurants.

On a student's budget this might seem quite expensive, but if you know where the right place to go then it is actually very cost effective.

One affordable restaurant is Ferry Street Barbecue, a local shop known for its hand-turned fire pits and generous portions. Found at 89 Ferry St., this less than one mile walk from the Rock provides students fresh and authentic Portuguese food: a cheaper and tastier alternative to stadium food.

The half chicken platter with yellow rice and a salad is recommended, plus it only costs a mere $8.

Combined with travel fare the day's expenses come to a grand total of $11.75, a price certainly within reason compared to food sitting under a heat lamp for hours on end.

Although this method of travel is not as quick and direct as the bus, the train offers a more unique and interesting experience in the places it allows you to go.

Other restaurants like Spanish Sangria and Fornos of Spain, like Ferry Street Barbecue, are some of the many safe and exotic restaurants in Newark.

Christopher Spall can be reached at christopher.spall@student.shu.edu.