Women's golf opens play, Neufeld wins tournament for men

The men's golf team placed second among on Sept. 11 at the Rutgers Invitational Tournament in Piscataway, N.J.

The Pirates were led by tournament winner, junior John Dawson Neufeld with scores of (74-68-69) finishing 2-under-par.

Sophomore Brandon Park and junior Troy Spencer also finished in the top five with total scores of 1-over-par (75-69-70) and 2-over-par (70-72-73), respectively.

Freshman Gary Dunne finished tied for 32nd overall with a 13-over-par (78-71-77) while sophomore Jamie Shirley finished 78th overall with a 32-over-par (84-78-83).

Neufeld's first place finish came in just his second tournament at the Hall.

"It felt nice to get my first big win at a college tournament, and I've always wanted to so it was good to get it out of the way," Neufeld said. "I didn't even know I had won until they called my name, which made me feel great."

The Pirates finished 19 strokes behind tournament winner Newberry in team play, and finished the tournament 13 strokes ahead of third place Columbia University.

"We have three guys playing really well," said White, "and we should probably be winning some tournaments, but this is team golf. You don't get to count just three scores. You need all five."

The team's next tournament, the Adams Cup, begining Sept. 19 in Newport, R.I.

The women's golf team played in its first event in program history last weekend, finishing in 10th place at the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa..

Freshman Hannah Basalone finished at 19-over-par, (79-76-74) giving her a ninth place finish. Freshamn Christina Cantu finished in 15th place after completing the tournament at 23-over-par (80-75-78).

Rounding out the Seton Hall golfers were Samantha Massei, who shot 41-over-par (82-85-84), Haley Van Es with a 64-over-par (93-86-95) and Nicole Longobardo with a 121-over-par (118-110-103).

Massei's first round scores included a hole-in-one on the 140 yard long 16th hole, the first in the program's short history.

"I told her that this was her last swing of the day and to make it her best one," women's coach Sara Doell said. "After she swung the club and we saw it go in, she just gave me the biggest hug."

Seton Hall finished 84 strokes behind Bucknell, who won the tournament.

"To finish tenth out of 18 teams in their first event is big," Doell said, "and I feel pretty good about the next couple of tournaments."

The women's golf team will compete in the Princeton Women's Invitational at Springdale Country Club in Princeton, N.J. starting Sept. 18.

John Lopiano can be reached at john.lopiano@student.shu.edu