Carolina teams outshoot golf on road, spoil Castanet's spring debut

The men's golf team placed 10 out of 13 teams last weekend at the River Landing Intercollegiate, co-hosted by Eastern Carolina University and the University of North Carolina Wilmington, at the River Landing Golf Club in Wallace, North Carolina.

The Pirates shot a 54 hole score of 296-299-297-892, 45 strokes behind the tournament champion UNC-Wilmington.

UNC-Wilmington won by two strokes over UNC-Chapel Hill.

"We improved from the Towson Tournament," head coach Clay White said. "A few guys are close to breaking through to mid-season form."

The Hall was led by sophomore Troy Spencer who shot a four over-par, 73-71-76-220 for the tournament. Spencer tied for 28 among 79 individual golfers in the tournament.

"We broke 300 all three rounds and shot good scores," Spencer said. "My first two rounds were good but since my injury I haven't made birdies."

Freshman Brandon Park shot an even-par 72, the best final round of any Seton Hall player. The even round lifted him to second on the Pirates with a 6-over-par, 74-76-72-222, good enough for 37th among the field.

Seton Hall received another consistent performance from junior Borja Faixat, who shot a 9-over-par, 75-74-76-227 for the Pirates. Faixat's performance placed him in a tie for 50th place.

Junior Colin Van Es shot an 11 over par, 74-78-75-227 to finish in a tie for 56 place.

"Colin played well," Spencer said. "He's had some swing issues he's needed to work on. He's improved every tournament this spring to be a solid two or three for us."

Senior Ryan Castanet made his season debut after missing the first two tournaments of the spring with a separated left shoulder and finished the tournament with a two-over-par, 74.

"Ryan wasn't supposed to be back until after Big East play," Spencer said. "He showed senior leadership rehabbing to come back from the injury."

The Pirates finished above fellow Big East teams Connecticut and Georgetown, who finished 12 and 13 respectively.

The Hall will square off against the rest of the Big East in their next tournament, the 2010 Big East Championship on April 19. They will play in Palm Harbor Florida at the Innisbrook Golf Club's Copperhead course, the same site as the PGA Tour's Transitions Championship.

White said that in order to have a good showing in the tournament, the team would need to improve.

"It's definitely going to take red numbers (low scores) to compete," White said. "We're going to need to shoot in the 280's to compete, so we need to shave about nine strokes from our average now."

Colin Rajala can be reached at colin.rajala@student.shu.edu