Volleyball sweeps St. John's

The Pirates swept their conference rival St. John's on Friday night, sweeping the match 3-0 at home.

Senior Allie Matters came through defensively with a match-high 29 digs. This feat moved her double-figure dig streak of 64 matches, the highest in the nation.

Sophomore Krissy Wrobel notched 7 blocks. On the offensive end, sophomore Meghan Matusiak tallied 12 kills while freshman Olivia Trudeau had 38 assists.

The start of the first set was marked by Wrobel and Osmun pairing up for a block to top off a 10-4 run. St. John's then fell behind by eight points after Matusiak dished out an ace.

The Red Storm was able to come within four points but couldn't get any closer before Osmun stopped their rally with a kill. They only allowed St. John's one more point before they closed out the set, winning by 7.

St. John's took its only lead of the second set right off the bat as they scored on the first two plays. The Pirates responded with a 6-0 run.

An ace from Hannah Hugeback gave the Hall an 11-5 advantage. St. John's fought hard and was able to come within two and that was the closest they would come for the rest of the match.

At a score of 16-14, the Pirates increased their margin to four points. Matusiak delivered a kill which was followed by a Red Storm attack error. They dominated the rest of the set with a final score of 25-21.

The Pirates came out strong in the third set taking an early six point lead. Midway through the set, Trudeau set up Hugeback for a score and extended the gap to 18-7. They finished the set with a score of 25-15 to get the sweep.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.