No playoffs for soccer

The Seton Hall men's soccer team's postseason hopes were finally put to rest as the Pirates dropped their final regular season match 2-0 to West Virginia Saturday night at Owen T. Carroll Field.

"I thought that was a game similar to the Villanova game where we were relatively flat," head coach Manny Schellscheidt said. "We didn't seem to have the energy necessary to compete in a real competitive Big East game."

The loss gave the Hall a 4-10-3 overall record and 1-7-3 on the Big East, extending the team's winless streak to ten games dating back to Sept. 18.

"I think it could be a little bit mental," Schellscheidt said. "Winning boosts morale and we didn't win for a long time."

The scoring got started early for West Virginia when in the 12th minute senior Paul McHenry's initial stop on a Mountaineer break-away led to a loose ball that was put into the back of the net by forward Moeryhan Doue.

With five minutes left in the first half, Doue was involved once again as he was taken down in the box, forcing a penalty kick.

Forward Abel Sebele converted on the kick pushing the score to 2-0 heading into the half.

The Hall was outshot in the first half 11-4 overall and 19-8 for the game. Nine Mountaineer shots were directed on goal with Seton Hall managing only five of their own.

The Pirates' only real scoring opportunity came midway through the first half when sophomore Giovanni Zammiello corner kick from the left side led to a blast from Jack Freeman that was knocked away by a sprawling
Zach Johnson, the preseason Big East goalkeeper of the year.

Doue was a constant nuisance for the Pirate defense leading West Virginia with six shots.

In goal, Johnson made four saves en route to his 10th shutout of the season. McHenry made seven of his own in his final game as a Pirate.

The loss, in front of a rain-soaked crowd, also sealed a winless conference season at home for the Pirates who recorded a 0-5-1 record against the Big East at home.

"It's disheartening that we can't win at home," Schellscheidt said. "We had great support with the spectators."

McHenry, third on the Hall's all-time saves list, and fellow classmates
Marko Ciklic, Erik Vendola and Kyle Giuliana were honored during halftime of the season fiuale for senior night. With the 2009 season in the books, Schellscheidt and the team are already looking to move past this season and into the future.

"Going forward, we need to not talk about excuses and things that hold us back," Schellscheidt said. "We not only want to make the Big East Tournament but to win in it and reach the NCAA's."

Zachary Cziryak can be reached at zachary.cziryak@student.shu.edu.