Ryan Conway commits to Seton Hall

Seton Hall added its first 2021 recruit Monday night as Dulaney High School (MD) point guard Ryan Conway announced his committment to the Pirates via Instagram video post.

Here’s the basics on Seton Hall’s newest commit:

• Name: Ryan Conway
  • Position: Point Guard
  • Height, Weight: 6-foot-1, 160 pounds
  • Hometown: Lutherville Timonium, MD

Recruitment

Conway committed to Seton Hall over Big East rivals Providence and Marquette as well as Stanford, Vanderbilt and Rutgers. He made an unofficial visit to Seton Hall in August of 2018 before receiving an offer in December of 2019.

Ryan-Conway2
Photo via prephoops.com

Scouting Report

Conway's standout skill is his ability to create opportunities for himself all over the court. He’s comfortable taking shots from all three levels and he shows no fear driving at defenders from the top of the key. In his junior year of high school, Conway averaged 27.3 points and 4.8 assists while averaging 80% from the free-throw line and 40% from 3-point range.

His size seems to be more of an advantage than it is a weakness. He glides past other players with ease. He’s a shifty point guard that has the handles to lull defenders onto their heels and create space for him to shoot.

Conway’s tenacity in the attack also translates into his defensive game. He plays methodically on defense, watching his man closely before making an attempt to steal possession. He averaged just over four steals per game in his junior year.

College Projection

By the time Conway joins the team, Jared Rhoden will be a senior and a leader within the Pirates’ locker room. Conway shares the same drive as Rhoden did when he first arrived at Seton Hall, and that will set Conway apart from other players in terms of how quickly he develops. He plays with a humble confidence that Kevin Willard values in his players, and it bodes well for his general reception from his older teammates, the coaching staff and the Seton Hall fans.

His defensive prowess will also please Willard. Conway can provide the extra injection of energy needed off the bench to keep opponents at bay while the starters get some rest. In their first year without good defenders in Shavar Reynolds Jr. and Myles Cale, a naturally astute defender will be huge help for the Pirates even if it is off the bench.

With Conway as the first commit of the 2021 class, the personnel that Willard and his staff are looking for in this group is quite clear. They’re going to have to be players who are confident in their strengths, show a willingness to be patient for their time and work hard for it and have the potential to strengthen the Pirates’ defense. Conway seems to possess all these attributes and has set the tone for the remaining recruits of his class.

Justin Sousa can be reached at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @JustinSousa99.