Siena squeeze by Pirates

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team dropped a close score, 2-1, to Siena on Thursday to drop the team’s record to 1-3 on the year. The loss comes after losing the previous match, 1-0, against Long Island University. In the first three games of the season, the Pirates have scored the same number of goals that took six games last year.

Harpa Johannsdottir started in net and recorded two saves during the first half, letting one goal in at the 34th minute. Johannsdottir was unable to stop Siena’s lone shot on goal in the second half, giving Siena the 2-1 win.

Emily Caza and Laura Hooper both had shots on goal that would not go in for the Pirate offense during the second half of play.

WSOC-91419-1024x576

In the first half, shots were 5-4 in favor of the Pirates. Five different Pirates recorded shots, while Dani Brinckman and Lauren DiPietro recorded the Pirates’ only shots on goal.

Brinckman’s second shot of the game was able to pass Siena’s goalie and tie the game up at one. The Pirates came out firing again, outshooting Siena 10-3, with three shots on goal. Unfortunately, Siena’s second goal at the 83rd minute sealed the game and the Pirate loss.

So far this season, the Pirates have out shot opponents 59-33.

The Pirates will be back in action on Sept. 15 when they face Central Connecticut State at Seton Hall Prep. The game is set to begin at 1 p.m.

Brittany Tomore can be found at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu. Find her on Twitter @BrittTomore.