Student dies in fall from parking deck

A Seton Hall student died on Tuesday afternoon after falling from the roof of the parking deck of the South Orange campus. South Orange Police said there is no evidence of foul play and an investigation is ongoing.

Sarah Yenesel / Photography Editor

The student was identified as Julian Myles Mislavsky, a 23-year-old senior from Morristown, N.J. According to his LinkedIn page, Mislavsky—known as Myles to his friends and family—was a psychology major on track to graduate in 2019. His page also said he was currently a zamboni driver for William G Mennen Sports Arena, where he had been working since 2013.

In an email to The Setonian on Tuesday, Interim President Dr. Mary Meehan wrote, “My heart breaks for his [Mislavsky’s] parents and for all those who loved him. Seton Hall is a tight knit community and when we lose someone, we all share the sadness.”

Also on Tuesday, Meehan sent out two emails to the Seton Hall community about the tragic incident. In one of her emails, she mentioned that there would be a memorial service on campus. She also asked that everyone keep Mislavsky and his family and friends in their prayers.

“No family member or loved one should ever have to receive news of this nature, and they will need our love and support in the coming days,” she wrote. “Please remember that the University offers counseling and support services to the campus community 24/7 for those who have been impacted by this loss or who are facing difficulties.”

In her second email, Meehan urged the students, faculty and employees to take advantage of the services the university offers. “This is a difficult time for our community and we all respond differently to tragedy. I urge you to seek assistance from our counseling and Campus Ministry services at any time if you feel the need for support,” Meehan wrote.

Both emails listed the contact information for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Campus Ministry.

CAPS can be reached at 973-761-9500 on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If it’s after hours, call them through Public Safety at 973-761-9300. Public Safety can contact a CAPS on-call counselor that is available for emergency phone consultation and crisis intervention. Campus Ministry can be reached at 973-761-9545.

“During this difficult period, I urge all of us to take care of one another and offer your support as needed. Let us offer our prayers for this young man, his family and loved ones, and all those affected by tragic loss,” she wrote.

At approximately 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday, South Orange Police responded to a 9-1-1 call reporting that a person had fallen from the roof of the parking deck.

“Upon arrival officers discovered a male victim laying on the grass median adjacent to the parking deck’s vehicular exit,” according to a press release from the South Orange Police Department. “The victim, later determined to be a twenty-three year old student of Seton Hall University, had sustained life threatening injuries. The victim was treated at the scene by emergency personnel and transported to University Hospital in Newark where he was pronounced dead at 1:12 p.m.”

The release also said, “The cause of death will be determined pending the results of an autopsy from the Medical Examiner’s Office. At this time, the preliminary investigation reveals no evidence of foul play however; the incident is continuing to be investigated by Detectives at this time.”

South Orange Police were the first to respond to the scene and approximately 10 minutes later, Pat Linfante, Seton Hall’s Associate Vice President for Public Safety, said he arrived and witnessed emergency personnel tending to Mislavsky.

Linfante said that Mislavsky was conscious and in obvious pain. He also said the South Orange Police Department will conduct a full investigation.

On Wednesday, there were bouquets of flowers placed near the parking deck entrance. Someone wrote “I love you” on the wall of the parking deck. There was also a note encouraging those who are in need to seek help.

“Any individuals or witnesses having any information pertinent to this investigation are encouraged to contact Detective Lieutenant Brian McGuire of the South Orange Police Department at (973) 763-3000 x. 7788,” the South Orange Police wrote in their statement.

As of Sept. 12, South Orange Police Department Chief Kyle Kroll said in an email that there were no more updates. He added, “we’ve come across no evidence indicating that this incident was of a suspicious nature or involved any foul play.”

With no evidence of foul play, friends, family and fellow Seton Hall community members have been left to wonder what happened.

Mislavsky’s private Instagram account indicates that he was a member of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity and this was confirmed by the fraternity.

The Seton Hall College Democrats issued a statement on Twitter Tuesday. It read, “The Seton Hall College Democrats are shocked and saddened by the sudden tragic loss of life on our campus today. On behalf of our executive board, we would like to send our sincere condolences to the student’s friends and loved ones. They will all be in our thoughts and prayers.”

Samantha Todd can be reached at samantha.todd@student.shu.edu.

Author: Samantha Todd

Samantha Todd is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where she serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. She has a double minor in English and broadcasting and visual media. She is a recipient of the Tim O’Brien Award for Excellence in Writing and Reporting and also the John J. O’Brien Award for Excellence. You can follow Samantha on Twitter @SamanthaLTodd.