Pirates fall to Stony Brook in close contest

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team failed to come away victorious against Stony Brook University on Sunday afternoon, dropping the match by a final score of 1-0.

Both the Pirates and Seawolves battled for each opportunity within the 18 in the tight-knit affair. Despite the first half going without a score, the match was anything but stale. With the head official choosing to swallow his whistle, the first 45 minutes were full of physical play.

Renee Nunez/Staff Photographer

At halftime, Seton Hall amassed five shots and two looks by way of corner kicks. Stony Brook applied pressure, but only registered two shots and a lone corner kick.

Coming out of the break, the Seawolves owned the pace early in the second half. Forcing Seton Hall to expend most of its energy on defense, Stony Brook’s personnel changes made a significant difference in the possession battle.

Just over midway through the second half, Siobhan McGovern had a glimpse of hope to turn the tides in Seton Hall’s favor. In a race with Sofia Manner, Stony Brook’s goalkeeper, a deflection looked to be within McGovern’s reach on an empty net. However, a great hustle play by Manner helped recovered the loose ball.

Stony Brook would eventually break through with the first goal of the game off a fast break. Mari Brenden would receive the pass and split Pirates goalkeeper Anna MacLean to put one in the back of the net. Believing the play was offsides, Stainton voiced his displeasure to the officials, albeit to no avail.

Despite seeing an advantage in shots, 10-6, Seton Hall failed to put one on the scoreboard. Falling to 1-2-1, the Pirates would drop the hard-fought battle.

“The game is all about capitalizing on opportunities and unfortunately we did not get to do so,” Stainton said. “There were a couple opportunities where we broke in and if we just get a foot to it, or around the box we just get it to central spots and take a rip, we could have someone follow up. We need to make goalkeepers work harder.”

Despite the outcome, Stainton feels confident in his team’s capabilities moving forward.

“We didn’t play overly bad, for the most part, we played quite impressive. We’re building on things we want to implement,” Stainton said. “We’ll watch this game and make the proper adjustments.”

The Pirates return to action on Wednesday, August 29 at 5 p.m. as they hit the road to take on Quinnipiac University.

Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.

Author: Anthony Talarico