Bats go cold as Stony Brook shuts out Seton Hall

Seton Hall softball could not find their offensive rhythm on Tuesday, as the team dropped its tenth straight game in a 3-0 defeat to Stony Brook. The lack of offense has been a theme lately for the Pirates, as they have scored three runs in their last three contests combined.

Coach Paige Smith was “not pleased” with the Pirates’ result, as Seton Hall was unable to make key plays on defense in addition to the difficulty with offensive output.

Sean Barry/Staff Photographer

In the top of the first inning, a dropped third strike with two outs was the reason for the first run of the game for Stony Brook, as the runner from third advanced home as the ball trickled to the backstop. This was the only run allowed on both sides for a majority of the game, as the Pirates and Seawolves traded blows from the pitching rubber.

Seton Hall starting pitcher Reganne Camp pitched through multiple jams to hold Stony Brook to a one-run lead, but a couple mishaps in the field led to unearned runs in the fifth inning and gave the Seawolves some breathing room at 3-0, which held for the final score. Camp pitched seven innings for the Pirates, allowing three runs with just one earned. The sophomore’s outing proved to her coach the kind of competitor she is.

“She will not be beaten, it’s really cool,” Smith said. “I think she would be the first to tell you in the beginning of the game she didn’t have her best stuff. She’ll fight through it. She’s one of the only kids I know that if she could actually rip off her arm and throw it to first base to get the out, she would consider it.”

The contest marked the last home game of the year for the Hall and the last home contest of the Pirate seniors’ collegiate careers. The quartet of Alannah Basile, Sara Foster, Alyssa Prukop and Alexis Walkden may have ended their Mike Sheppard, Sr. field games, but Smith is appreciative of what they brought to the program.

“I want to thank [the seniors] for the four years they put in, I have nothing but respect for them,” Smith said.

Seton Hall will wrap up its season with a three-game series in Washington, D.C. against Georgetown, starting with a doubleheader on May 5.

Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu. 

Author: Robert Fallo