Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Softball takes one of two in doubleheader against Marist

Seton Hall softball split their doubleheader with the Marist Red Foxes on their road trip to Poughkeepsie, New York on Tuesday.

Marist drew first blood with an RBI by sophomore Maddie Pleasants that went into right-center to give them a 1-0 lead in game one.

The Pirates struck back with a red-hot second inning where they scored five of their six runs for the game. A single to left-center by sophomore Jenna Blevins sent a runner home and put the Pirates on the board. Lauren Caye stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded and hit a two-RBI single to center field that extended the Pirates' lead to 3-1. 

A ground out momentarily stopped the Pirates’ momentum, though the fight wasn’t over. Ashly Colonnetta tacked on another RBI for the Pirates, and a wild pitch later allowed Caye to score. The Hall held a commanding 5-1 lead at the end of the second inning.

The Pirates relied heavily on pitcher Sydney Babik in game one, who threw for all seven innings with 127 pitches thrown and 33 batters faced. With her help, the Pirates were able to finish the game with a 6-3 victory, giving them their 30th win of the season. 

The scoring output for Marist was far different in the second game, as they handled the Pirates, 11-3. The Red Foxes scored four runs in the third inning and five runs in the fourth inning to give them a nearly insurmountable lead. 

Junior Alyssa Grupp was the standout for Marist, going two for two at the plate and recording four RBIs. She has been one of the team’s leading hitters this year, and she continued to shine on Tuesday.

Seton Hall will face Fairleigh Dickinson in another doubleheader on April 19 at home for their pink game where pink ribbons and stickers will be distributed to all who attend.

Matthew Soetebeer can be reached at matthew.soetebeer@student.shu.edu.