Camp pitches gem as softball downs Butler on the road

The Seton Hall softball team needed a spark on Saturday, having dropped its last five conference games and facing a series sweep on the road against Butler. Reganne Camp provided that spark, tossing a complete-game shutout for the 1-0 win over Butler in Indianapolis, Ind. It was the eighth career complete game and second career shutout for Camp, who remarkably did not register a strikeout, despite navigating the seven innings, unscathed. The win raises her season record to 6-5. [caption id="attachment_22514" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The win gives Seton Hall its first Big East win of the season, as the Pirate’s overall record improves to 15-21. The Bulldogs, meanwhile, fall to 11-17, with their conference mark pegged down to 2-1. Camp allowed only three hits and three walks, displaying excellent composure when the time called for it. Never was her command more needed than in the bottom of the fourth, when she worked her way out of a two-on, one-out situation by inducing a double play to end the inning. Later, in the bottom of the seventh, Butler put a tying runner on base, but Camp again held her nerve and forced routine outs to finish off the game. Seton Hall’s offense had struggled in conference play entering today, managing only 12 runs through its first five Big East games, including a shut-out to the Bulldogs the day before. However, a single run was enough to win Saturday’s game; a pitchers’ duel in which only six hits were allowed. Freshman Janae Barracato, who recorded her team-leading 11th multi-hit-game this season, scored the lone run of the contest. Hailey Arteaga drove her fellow outfielder home with a sacrifice fly in the top of the first, and the Pirates never surrendered that early lead. Shortstop Emily Supercynski also notched a hit for the Pirates, while four other players managed to get on base by drawing walks. Third baseman Alexis Walkden and pinch-runner Alyssa Prukop both stole second to give the Hall chances to extend its lead, but the Pirates were not able to convert. The Pirates return to action in South Orange, N.J. with a doubleheader on Saturday, April 7, against Providence. The first game begins at 12 p.m., with the second half of the doubleheader scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m. Kyle Beck can be reached at kyle.beck1@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @notkylebeck.