Faculty members honored at annual award ceremony

Several faculty members were honored at the annual Faculty Researcher and Teacher of the Year Award luncheon on March 23. The luncheon started with an introduction from associate provost Dr. Gregory Burton who discussed interrelations between teaching and research and the amount of valuable research that generates from Seton hall faculty. [caption id="attachment_22475" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Mia Page/News Staff Writer[/caption] After opening remarks from interim provost Dr. Karen Boroff, the university honored each of the college faculty researchers of year from each school. Various faculty members, most being previous winners, served as the judges for each of the university honors. The winner from each school was given a coin and plaque from the deans of their respective schools. Dr. Robert Kelchen from the College of Education and Human Services won this year’s overall University Researcher of Year. Dr. Kelchen does research on higher education finance, accountability and student financial aid. In his own words he studies, “Where the money comes from for college and where it goes.” Kelchen shared his thoughts on winning the award. “As a tenure track faculty member, I think it’s really exciting,” he said. Dr. Pamela Adams was selected as the top researcher from the Stillman School Business for her study of entrepreneurship and innovation management. Adams shared what winning the award meant to her. “Well it means a lot because it’s my second year here at Seton hall and at the Stillman School so I’m very glad that I was able to bring a research award into this in only my second year here,” she said. The other honorees included Kristen Boon from the Seton Hall School of Law, Fr. Thomas Guarino, from the Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology and Dr. Yanzhong Huang from the School of Diplomacy and International Relations. Michael LaFountaine, Doctors Marianne Lloyd, Daniel Nichols and Mark Molesky from the College of Arts and Sciences, Courtney Starrett from the College of Communication and the Arts and Dr. Munira Wells from the College of Nursing. The winner of College Adjunct Faculty Teacher of the Year was Professor Tatiana Shiloff from the college of Arts and Sciences. The winner of the overall College Faculty Teacher of the Year was Professor Catherine Zizik from the College of Communications and the Arts. Professor Zizik said she is honored to represent the College of Communications and the Arts and that she was humbled and surprised when her name was called. “I was numb for a moment and realized how fortunate I am to be at such a great institution with so many esteemed colleagues,” Zizik said. “I love teaching and I always tell my students, when you love what you do you do not call it work.” She concluded by thanking the school for her award. “Seton Hall is my second home and our students are my pride and joy,” she said. “This award is shared with all my students, my Brownson speech team and our ethics team.” Mia Page can be reached at mia.page@student.shu.edu.