Greek organizations give back to the community

All SHU fraternities and sororities have philanthropic initiatives they focus on and raise money to support. Many of these organizations also think of events as ways to give back to the community. Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) helps at the food bank in Hillside, N.J. once or twice every semester. Tristan Ryan, the current philanthropy chair and a sophomore finance major, said they have been helping at this food bank since before he was philanthropy chair. [caption id="attachment_22028" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) fraternity volunteers at a food bank in Hillside, N.J. as a way to give back to the community.
Photo courtesy of Jake Underkofler[/caption] Their last trip to the food bank was on Feb. 17, where they spent most of their time packing boxes of food and non-food items to be dispersed throughout the state. “We’re getting a good experience where we’re all hanging out and having a good time, but at the same time we’re actually making a difference in our community,” Ryan said. The fraternity is also planning AXP Factor, a talent show that will raise funds for the American Cancer Society. The event will take place on March 22 in the Jubilee auditorium from 7 to 10 p.m. The motto for AXP is “Be Men.” “I think a lot of us would agree that a big part of being a man is giving back to the world that has served you so well,” AXP Vice President and sophomore finance major Jake Underkofler said. The Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity spends their time focusing on their five philanthropies: Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN), Aware Awake Alive, humane society, home for our troops and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Alpha Sigma Phi philanthropy director and sophomore mathematical finance major Andre Bakhos said they try to do at least one event for each philanthropy. “We just got finished with selling roses on Valentine’s Day for Aware Awake Alive, all of the funds went to them,” Bakhos said. Last semester they put on a talent show that they hope will become annual, with the funds benefiting RAINN, and they raised around $900. The Alpha Gamma Delta sorority (AGD) just had a change in philanthropies from diabetes awareness to world hunger. Another focus for the sorority is the AGD philanthropy that helps sisters out with scholarships and other struggles. A big event for the women is their event Cupcake Wars. Cupcakes are donated for the event and money is raised by auctioning off the best cupcake decorations. Money raised during this event is normally divided between hunger and AGD. Philanthropy Chair and sophomore biology major Olivia Rohrecker said they are planning another big event for this semester but nothing yet is set in stone. Veronica Gaspa can be reached at veronica.gaspa@student.shu.edu.